Here is a great recipe for an apple streusel cake. This is an easy recipe! It not only goes great with your coffee (or hot chocolate) in the morning it can also be served as a dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
FOR THE STREUSEL:
1 c. light brown sugar
1 c. chopped apples (peeled or unpeeled - it is your preference)
1 c. sliced almonds, pecans or walnuts (optional)
1/3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
FOR THE CAKE:
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. butter (1 stick) softened
1/2 c. granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 c. orange juice
FOR THE GLAZE: (optional)
1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
2 1/2 tsp. orange juice
1. Making the Streusel - Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Grease a 9 or 10 inch tube pan. To prepare streusel, in a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, apples, almonds, flour and cinnamon. Stir in melted butter.
2. Making the Cake - In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; mix well. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition. Add vanilla.
3. Set mixer to low; alternately beat four mixture and orange juice into egg mixture. Spoon half of batter into tube pan. Sprinkle with half of streusel. Spoon the remaining batter over the streusel, spreading to make an even layer. Swirl batter with a knife to create a marble pattern.
4. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove cake from oven; sprinkle with remaining streusel. Return cake to the oven; bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Making the Glaze - combine confectioners' sugar and orange juice. Mix well. Turn cake out onto a serving plate; invert so streusel is on top. Drizzle glaze over cake; serve!